Re: Alternative To Dropbox

Have you tried Microsoft OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)?
Initially this service had only a web interface, but currently there are apps for Windows (it is completely integrated into Windows 8.1 and the app is available for Vista/7/8), Mac, Android, iOS and obviously Windows Phone. I use it to save university documents on local folders that are synchronized with the server automatically, and since I have the program on my desktop and my laptop, when I turn on any of these computers the added/changed/deleted files are automatically reflected locally also on that machine.
This service also allows to share files generating public or private links (for editing or read-only), and I like it is able to send links both to e-mail addresses as well as Facebook friends (provided you have the Facebook account connected to the Microsoft account, of course).

I also use OneDrive to upload things I create like translations or organ recordings, since it doesn't limit the downloads in any way. In addition to the official applications, you can use SDExplorer to have access to OneDrive, independently of the synchronized folders on the computer (Windows 8 and latter don't differentiate between online and offline available files, so those systems only shows files that were downloaded to the computer), from Computer or My Computer, as if you were using the web interface with Internet Explorer. The Advanced edition of this program let also schedule big uploads to be done in the background (remember that his program is previous to any official app), retry unsuccessful uploads and shutdown/sleep/hibernate the computer (this last feature is not available even on Windows 8.1).

Although I have 25 GB without paying because I used the service since 2007 and they allowed old users to keep the original 25 GB when they changed the policy at the time of releasing Windows 8 on 2012, currently the free storage for new users is 7 GB.

Other Microsoft alternative, which uses exclusively the local area network, is SyncToy. Although it's only for Windows and is not available on other language than US English, it has a very friendly GUI and, if you need, has also a command line interface, useful for using with Task Scheduler.