Re: Kenshira Plays: Audio playthroughs and demos of mainstream games

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game! Today, I'll be hammering out a few sets in drums challenge.

Drums challenge is a Simon says style rhythm game, where your objective is to replicate drum patterns to the beat of songs spanning several genres. It was released 9 years ago as of this writing, first for iOS, then as a mini for psp and ps3. The mini version is the one ill be playing. Throughout the course of gameplay, you will unlock pieces for your drum kit which is available in freestyle mode as you unlock and complete new songs. What makes this game more playable over other games of this type is that you can hear the wrong drum pieces you hit, so you can figure out what button does what and not make that mistake later. This is a real nice game that will last a out a couple hours as you try to perfect each of the tracks and fill out your drum kit.

I discovered this one before I got into the rhythm heaven series. Drums challenge is nothing like that, in fact, it is a lot more focused on making music, so you won't get any cartoonie flourishes, just good ol honest music, not that there's anything wrong with either. I really love both this game and the rhythm series. Drums challenge has carried me through some long stretches of boredom. When I was over seas, I would boot up the game and fire up the freestyle mode so that I could drum along to whatever music we were listening to at the time, because I just couldn't stand sitting around and doing absolutely nothing. I also have a very vivid memory that happened not long after I bought the game and had cleared all but the final song. I remember gripping my psp tightly like a steering wheel with adrenaline pumping through my veins as I concentrated on tackling the last challenge. You won't hear me doing that in this demo, because, 1, its been a long time since so I'm a bit rusty, and 2, I don't want to embarrass myself more than I already have in the process of making this demo. Dont think I did too badly, though. You can judge for yourself by checking out the recording below.

drums challenge audio demo

One of the things I always find cool is when developers find a way to use their games to turn the consoles into a musical instrument, such as how Wario ware twisted let you play the piano via the gyroscope and the A button, or how Wario ware touch let you play the harmonica via the ds microphone, arrows and face buttons, or how drums challenge turned your psp into a drum kit. These are the culmination of my 2 most favorite hobbies combined, where its not just about replicating music, but creating it as well. I do highly recommend trying out drums challenge, however you can. Its a great game, and I wish there were more Simon style games like this.

That takes us to the end of today's episode, and I hope you found it enjoyable. Bext week, we'll visit one of the games that took up a good few months of my senior year in high school. Until next time!