Re: 2MB Game engine in the works -- any beta testers?

This is the inevitable post where I point out that there's no reason whatsoever to avoid using a regular programming language coupled with libraries that do the engine and a "here's a new project" template, rather than doing the thing the community is just barely escaping where we have the blindie game engine ghetto.  It's also the inevitable point where everyone ignores me, but hey, I tried.

maybe you have some amazing solution for, e.g., third party dependencies that don't have to be written by other users of the engine.  If you don't solve all the "I'm an experienced programmer" problems this is only going to draw newbies and we'll be right back where we were 5 years ago.

And before someone is like "well what technology would you choose, I don't like python because reason and it needs to be newbie friendly" my answer to that is Go.  I don't like Go but it is newbie friendly and if someone produced all the tooling for it, it could be a good enough option.  You could also embed V8 and get NPM working with a bit of fiddling--you'd need Node to manage packages, but nothing actually requires node to be involved in running the app, it's just a way to get them installed.

Also, please at least say it's not going to be a commercial engine.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : 2mb via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Gaki_shonen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Charles via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mohamed via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Turret via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mohamed via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : stormdragon2976 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : stormdragon2976 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : stormdragon2976 via Audiogames-reflector