Re: MiriMush, a soundpack for miriani

I was thinking just awhile ago, yes, believe me, I think at times.  I think there is something to be said about a mud or a game and its quality when its fans take it upon themselves to extend its beauty to the rest of the world, devoting themselves to countless hours they know they will probably never get back and with the knowledge of no reward save thanks from the people who use their work.  such has been the case with a mud that popped up on this forum regularly, Alter Aeon.

I know Dark holds to this idea that muds are meant to be text only games and that if you're looking for a soundpack for every single one, you're missing the point.  My belief though is that if a fan of the game believes that colaberating with others if necessary and spending time out of his precious life to undertake a massive ongoing project as has been the case with mush-z, such an action gives someone like myself and perhaps other likeminded players an incentive to lo ok at the mud more closely and appreciate it in a different light that text just can't offer.  While one can certainly be imaginative while reading a story line, there are certain elements, sound included, which enhance imagination and make it as close to reality as can be without actually being part of it.  Perhaps this is why most sighted people would rather see a movie which is in some senses a method of throwing one into reality without much effort on their part, as opposed to a book which, no matter how expressive the writer can be, still requires critical concentration and a fair amount of deciphering if the vocabulary used to be that extra mile of descriptive is not normally vocabulary one would use.

Do not misunderstand me; reading is an awesome privelage!  The problem is that when you involve an activity along with it such as gaming which can already take up your concentration owing to its mechanics and the dangers provided there in, you' ;re sometimes too busy to involve yourself deeply with the story plot or anything else being placed in front of you by text.  Sound and visuals helpe provide those illustrations more clearly, while also enhancing a game like Alter or Miriani in the sense that you need not worry about every single line of text anymore, because there is an added element telling you to some extent what is going on, allowing your mind to more quickly create the scene and help you zero in on the important factors.  Punch, kick, slash and stabbing sounds alert you to the obvious; you are being attacked.  It is up to you at this point to find out what is attacking you and to dispose of it or run if necessary, but to have had to sit through yet another line of text to alert you to the obvious while whatever it is might have been dealing massive amounts of damage can be the difference between life and death for some people.

At any rate, thisi has gone completely off topic thanks to my random musings and rantings and ramblings and the like, so methinks it is time to return you to your original schedule.  Read on, children.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kyle12 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : kyle12 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ammericandad2005 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector