Getting Started With Android

All,
Topic subject really says it all.  I'm interested in trying out Android but really have no idea where to start, since there's a vast number of tablets, handsets etc.  I'm not interested in a phone, as I use a Verizon-based iPhone, which leaves tablets as the only option.  So, what tablets have people used?  What would you recommend?

Also, since I know next to nothing about Android accessibility, a primer would be nice, if it exists.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott