Re: Onslaught, Audio Asteroids, released for Windows, macOS, and Linux

Hey folks,

I wanted to give everyone a heads-up that I've been reading your feedback and watching streams when I can. To that end, I know Onslaught is loud and overwhelming, particularly as you level up. To some extent, there isn't much I can do about this, but I'm trying.

To that end, version 21.01.04.1738 has an experimental setting to silence asteroids more than roughly a quarter screen away. This doesn't change focus modes, nor does it silence asteroids that are colliding with you. This can't completely eliminate overwhelmingness, but I played a few rounds on wave 12, and had moments with 30 asteroids active but none audible because they were all jammed up near the edge of the field.

I also reduced bullets' base speed by 25%. This means that they cover less distance, but because a bullet's speed is their base plus the ship's speed, moving makes them travel further. Hopefully this incentivizes hunting, and makes it a bit more difficult to stay in one place. You can certainly still spray-and-pray, but that strategy has risks too, like fragmenting asteroids that are close by when you don't intend to.

Please try out the new setting. If it is an improvement, I want to remove it, make it the default, and work it into the docs and tutorial.

Thanks everyone!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Appleman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Angel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector