Running Morakuma's text games

Hi, I've been trying to get some of Morakuma's text games to work recently, but I'm running into problems.
I'm using JGT and the text game patch. I rename the executable to "play", then run launch.exe with the japanese locale emulator profile. When I do, the game opens for a second or so, then it crashes. Any ideas as to fixing this?