Re: where realism and unrealism cross the lines

Brutalities were, in fact, quite ridiculous, with random bodyparts flying everywhere (play with a sighted person and hear them play count-the-ribcages), but only bones more or less; the blood and guts apparently all dissolved in that character-sized blob of red explosion, rather than also splattering the whole arena.
Also, my 5-year-old sister got really close to doing a brutality by accident the first time she played the game. There are two parts to brutalities; the screen goes dark and it plays the music, but you still have to finish the combo for the opponent to actually explode. She got the transition effects, then stopped. Which seems reasonable, considering that Fatalities normally continue on their own at that point (unless you're MK2 Sub-zero).
Idk, maybe my sister was just a MK3 prodigy.

Anyway, my interest in mainstream games fell off a cliff around the time that "realistic" (read: grey-and-brown everything FPSes) became the industry standard, and the cinematic stuff doesn't really help so much. And then I watch some footage on Youtube or whereever, and am generally even less interested afterward. Having some degree of scenes to connect things, explain things, or tell a story is not so bad. But what amounts to walking between scenes and occasionally shooting a few things to get a cutscene ... I mean, why? That's not a game; that's an SCS campaign. Make the gameplay part worthwhile, otherwise I'll just watch a letsplay. ... I wonder how long before Youtube bans letsplays because the developers are losing money on people just watching rather than playing "press x for the next scene"?
But crap, if an Audio Drama with FPS elements is how you make money off games, then ... huh, come to think of it, it's weird that this is not a thing around here. I'd sort of expected it would be the obvious way to get "successful". Maybe there is something resembling hope after all. ... Or maybe we're too poor / few for even that to be worth the trouble, and/or nobody cares enough to have tried.