Introducing an accessible graph viewr for the web

Graph visualizations consisting of nodes and edges are ubiquitous throughout academia and industry. Such as molecule diagrams in chemistry, circuit diagrams in electronics, and various computer science diagrams such as network maps and entity relationship diagrams. Flowcharts are common throughout offices and mind maps are often used in brainstorming sessions. However their inaccessibility puts up a barrier to inclusion for blind people.

As part of my masters project, I have been developing a prototype for making graphs screen reader accessible on web pages and I am ready to share my work so far and hopefully get some feedback on its usability. I’ve written a short guide that gives a very brief background on what graphs are and then explains how to use the accessible graph viewer to make sense of a graph. The graph viewer is embedded as part of the web page, so all you need to try out the graph viewer is contained in the short guide.

No special knowledge is required. You just need to know how to use a keyboard and ascreen reader. Tested to work with NVDA on windows 10 on chrome, firefox, and edge, but probably also works fine with JAWS.

Hopefully you find this interesting. If you check it out, I would be really happy to get some feedback on the usability of the viewer. Feel free to post any questions or feedback here or alternatively you can email me at 20933...@student.gla.ac.uk

[url= "" href="https://samkacer.github.io/MermaidAccessDemo/guide">try out accessible graph viewer here