Re: A topic to talk about recent findings of retro stuff

Well I have been working for someone on an old toshiba sat l850  the 3200m class 3rd gen cpu with amd hd7800 and getting it working properly.
I pulled out my now ancient c850 sat pro of the same vintage without the amd card.
It still works.
Unsure what I will do with it.
There is fuck all wrong with it and its basically a collectors item now since toshiba only produce a couple 14 but mostly 13 inch ultrabooks.
I could load windows 10 on it but having used win10 on a 3200m dule its a bit of a joke.
A 3700qm with ssd and hdd combo is almost as fast if not faster than my amd ryzen 2nd gen or the prodesk 6th gen I worked on a little while back though.
However if you need to work on a 3200m, using bulk crap uninstaller to delete all the toshiba bloat is the first thing.
The toshiba bloat isn't bloat per say but its not going to be compatible with your os so power and cd drives refused to work till I killed things and becides they gave errors all over the show.
Srs sucks at least with espeak but not 1core, just be prepaired for system slowdowns, also the speakers in the toshiba I worked on without srs crappyness were an utter joke, unlike this workstation which while it has some speaker and card cutout to control the powerfull amp, I have a pair of headsets that plugin to the single microphone headphone combo jack with the ability to do both and be quite good about themselves, so yaay for senheiser hd410s I guess.
Anyway if all windows programs in the background do not run, and nothing like skype, cloud software, etc doesn't start and no background brouser stuff runs,  and nothing bar the drivers well, heck you could actually stop the realtech effects drivers from running completely because they still use the duel non integrated chipsets and you can probably kill srs and all the other effect processing to, and it would really be fine.
For retros, I still have my broken dropped mangled floppy and hard drive keynote who's only thing works is its synth card, I wouldn't  even try to put the battery that got dropped with it back in, I really should throw that away.
What I really would like is a retro system created just before hd audio came out, round the ac97 days where sound effects actually rocked, or back to 1998-99 where everyone used actual speakers, actual sound and video hardware and actual non integrated chipsets.
Rumors on some lists are that some new asus units don't even have the combo jack.
I guess they expect you to run bluetooth like that, I didn't want to but maybe my next thing to get will have to be a pair of 300 series senheiser motif or whatever it is with a dule bluetooth and cord combo, I almost got those, probably should have.
Saying that with all the laptops now days going with single 256-1tb ssds, and mostly 256gb, I am either running of external drive all the time or just have a laptop and a desk system.
Either a miniture, or one of those pro desk units, highly modable in design, really cool.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phoenix009 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pika-san via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phoenix009 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Phoenix009 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector