Re: disabling auto gain on the Olympus LS P4

well, a low gain has the disadvantage that the microphone preamp kicks in and usually gets pretty noisy, especially in cheaper devices like the Olympus. If that wasn't the case, we would always lower the input gain as much as  possible, because we could just boost it up within the DAW no problem. Thats why we can actually control the gain whatsoever, and thats the reason why auto gain is there. It enables us to record situations with varying levels, like a new year's party, because the gain automatically adjusts as soon as a very loud noise appears or a comparably quiet environment comes up. As soon as you can expect the volume of the environment to stay pretty stable however, its encouraged to disable auto gain, measure the proper gain settings yourself and record the situation with the same gain during the entire time to get the best results. It always depends on the situation. But I guess thats already common knowledge here.