Stories in video games

Hi all, when I play games or listen to Let's Plays on YouTube, I often put a games story over its gameplay. I don't know why, but a game with a great story and bad gameplay is a good game for me. Since most audio games have an okay story, I just wanted to discuss what your favorite stories in video games in general are. They can obviously be audio games as well, when they are your favorites, but they definitely do not have to be accessible.
My favorite stories are:
Bioshock (especially 1 and infinite): Bioshock 1 has one of the greatest plot twists of all time, which I won't spoil here. The atmosphere in the underwater city of Rapture is awesome, too. Bioshock Infinite has a very different kind of atmosphere, but I love the steampunk setting. In general, the music of all Bioshock games, which plays from gramophones all over Rapture and Columbia, fits very nicely.
Soma: This is a philosophical horror game with, to be honest, not too much horror but lots of great story. The questions that are brought up during your walk through Pathos II are very Black Mirror style, a show which I also love for its themes and presentation.
The Mass Effect Trilogy: While all three games combined tell a huge, epic space story, what really makes those games great are the characters, which you can befriend if you choose so. The amount of choices is really impressive, and you really start to feel like a part of your crew after a while.
Undertale: I love meta games, and this is one of the best meta games. It's especially genius how the save system works and what it saves. Aside from that, depending on your playstyle, Undertale can tell a very heartwarming story with awesome humor. Or it can become dark as hell.
The Metal Gear Solid series: This series has been a milestone of storytelling in games, and it is still great to listen to the many cinematic cutscenes, which are all very, very long smile
Nier and Nier Automata: Again, these Japanese Action-RPG's have very philosophical stories and are very heavy on plot twists. The cool gimmic here is that restarting the game with your finished save file restarts the game, but changes parts of the story or let's you play with another character altogether. Automatas story, for example, has it's climactic moments only if you play it a third time. Besides, the soundtrack of these games is one of the best I've ever heard. This might be because almost every track has singing parts as well, which is very rare for video games.
Many Final Fantasy Games: The amount of feeling put into the stories of many Final Fantasy games is phenomenal. Again, the characters make most of the greatness here. My favorite ones are VI, VIII and IX. The soundtrack makes many scenes unforgettable.

What are your favorite stories and why?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Adina via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vulcan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vulcan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : NortheasternGorilla via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aron Leppik via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector