Aspiring sound designer needing programming advice!!

I have recently graduated university with a degree in Audio design and production, with aspirations to break into the industry as a games sound designer, however I am currently faced with a decision in need of a programmers insight. Whilst I am now planning to spend my time working on my sound design reel and begin working on smaller development projects, the company I am working for as my day job has offered me a position and training in either PLC (programmable logic controller) or as a software developer developing in object orientated C# programming. My question is this: from a standpoint of a hiring audio director, would being proficient in either of these types of programming aid my resume and increase my chances of eventually becoming a games sound designer? I understand sound design skills (of course) are paramount, however would either of these skills be relevant within the game industry? I have a fundamental knowledge of C# and my instincts tell me this would be a skill which would be another string to my bow when trying to break into the industry as a sound designer, however I am trying to understand in more detail the relevance skills such as these have to the job as a sound designer as well as how much impact this would have between getting hired or not. To be clear, I do not wish to join the industry as an audio programmer, however I do need to make a decision here as I can't afford to quit my day job in the short term! If there was anyone out there available to shed some light on this I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. Thanks, jbowen