Re: Design Strategy: Following Party.

I'd say it doesn't matter if you slow down because of a group member. You've got a group in which there's someone with probably good armor so the down side of slowing you down, sounds reasonable to me.
So once you make the game determin the speed of each member based on their armor and stuff, and randomize the resulting speed a little bit so that the footsteps of two members with the same armor isn't played at the same time, and then decrease the footstep volume for all of the group members other than yourself, I believe It'll work fine