Re: what are your opinions about guide dogs?

Both the cane and a dog have their pros and conns. I myself had a guide dog for about 10 years.  My experience was fantastic as I applied both the dogs abilities and the abilities of my own with a cane while traveling.  I used the dog for the majority of my travels and implemented the cane when I got closer to my destination to detect landmarks that the dog would normally go passed.  On top of being a great tool for traveling, my pup also made a wond wonderful companion and friend.  When the dog was not working, the harness came off and he became a pup and did what pups do best. Cuddle, play, and relaxed like no other.  You and the dog are a team once your feet hit the pavement, and you and the dog must work together to accomplish your travels. It is not up to the dog to read your mind and take you where you want to go. Show the dog your routest, your way of travel and eventually you and the dog will almost think as one when it comes to traveling.  I am not sure how to fully explain that last part as weird as it sounds, but its the only way I can put it in to words.