Re: Mud Quests Help Topic

From a guy who's been playing on and off for three years, part of the greatness of alter for me is that there aren't very many quest guides out there, actually.  Some of the fun lies in the frustration of having to figure things out, of having to get your hands dirty, dying a few times, losing some experience and slapping yourself silly for having done something you probably knew ahead of time you shouldn't have done but did anyway, and being able to laugh about it later.

One of the dumbest things I did was try to breeze through a level 28 area because I'm a powerful necromancer that can do anything and to the wolves with you if you don't believe me, because I have all these great minnions and an awesome tank and power and glory and shut up!  The end result is that I got hit twice, very hard, by things my tank didn't protect me from because it couldn't get there fast enough, though I doubt it would have made much of a difference a t any rate, given that necros are physically weak anyway, so getting hit at level 27 when your constitution is not exactly something you've been focusing on is a nightmare.  The end result is that I lost close to a million XP, and to add insult to injury, my undead crew were all unharmed, and I had to sheepishly admit to myself that I probably know at least one 5 year old kid who wouldn't have done what I did.  That's still nothing though; I went into an area where I knew there was a killer mob with the ability to backstab for somewhere in between the 500 and 700 hitpoint range without armor, without a sanctuary spell, or anything else that truly provided any sort of protection.  Did I survive?  figure it out for yourself.

There are a bunch of great players, but I doubt even they ever truly learn the ropes in a way that says "There's nothing left for me to rediscover."  Every time I see level 36 players die, I'm reminded anew that this game is never truly won, never truly over, because Dentin.  I blame him for the insanity I've suffered and the sleepless nights of wondering if I went wrong once again and I should restart my char and focus on something else.  I finally said whatever and progressed onward, figuring that if I messed up one more time, it's part of life; you can't win em all.