Re: How much does spelling matter

It would also help if people learn the correct way to use certain words. I particularly notice this with words like affect and effect. People say that something effects something else when the correct word in that situation would actually be affect, with an A. Affect is the verb while effect is a noun, the effects of the decision.Then of course people confuse words all the time like since and sennse, then and than or due and do. Do to a technical difficulty is incorrect. The correct word there would be due, D U E. Then you get people who say more then instead of more than, could of instead of could have and so-on. Then of course there's the whole to and too thhing, where people say it's to late instead of it's too late. I'll be the first to admit that my own posts aren't always cleanly typed since I'll often miss letters in words (which has actually led to some pretty amusing if also embarrassing misunderstandings), but I at least make the effort to m ake sure that overall my posts are coherent. Part of it may be that I use a Britishh speach synthesizer despite not being a Brit myself. But I have found that it helps me catch words that I might not otherwise have caught, words that in an American accent might sound like they have D's in them but are actually spelled with T's. It also helps me catch words like Due or Do since the British synthe sort of pronounces the U. The irony of course is that it's not just the blind who make these mistakes. The thing that really gets to me though and constantly sets my teeth on edge is that textspeak or netspeak crap people use nowadays. Of course I say nowadays but it's actually been in use for at least the last ten years. I'm not talking about things like LOL, BTW or BRB since those make remote sense. I mean things like u instead of y, 2 instead of to, that sort of nonsense.