Re: jaws 16 beta: death of screen reader innovation illustrated

My responses, following the same order:
1: can't comment specifically. I've been using nvda for a long time now and haven't looked back. I'd say though that this is somewhat pointless, as if they have anything like a propper manual (which iirc they do) keystroke lookup is easy.

2: No clue what this does, but the whole line just makes me want to sigh at them. Give us a propper portable version and maybe then we'll talk improvement.

3: no comment.

4: ah, but the ocr was so bad before, so utterly horribly bad. Any improvement is worthwhile.

5: Good for you. Don't upgrade. Its a pain in more ways than I could possibly explain.

6: no comment, not sure what the issue they're fixing is.

7: Good. More people will use it than you think, because a lot of people don't bother to do the research required to find those better apps.

8: Cool. They need to make research it better (how's about more search results than 5!) because they're getting smashed to bits on the extra features front by nvda. I.e: the only one jfw has is research it. Nvda has a whole community addons website full of seriously handy extras (go balloons history, go dropbox, go system monitor).

9: No comment. Seems like a generic improvement.

10: Nvda's braille support list (and I quote the manual):
All Focus and PAC Mate displays from Freedom Scientific are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
Both the ALVA BC640 and BC680 displays from Optelec are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports all displays from Handy Tech when connected via USB or bluetooth.
The Lilli braille display available from MDV is supported.
Several Baum, HumanWare and APH displays are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth. These include:
•Baum: SuperVario, PocketVario
•HumanWare: Brailliant, BrailleConnect
•APH: Refreshabraille
The hedo ProfiLine USB from hedo Reha-Technik is supported.
The hedo MobilLine USB from hedo Reha-Technik is supported.
The Brailliant BI and B series of displays from HumanWare, including the BI 32, BI 40 and B 80, are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports Braille Sense and Braille EDGE displays from Hims when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports the SyncBraille Display from HIMS.
The Seika Version 3, 4 and 5 (40 cells) and Seika80 (80 cells) braille displays from Nippon Telesoft are supported.
Papenmeier BRAILLEX Newer Models
The following Braille displays are supported:
•BRAILLEX EL 40c, EL 80c, EL 20c, EL 60c (USB)
•BRAILLEX EL 40s, EL 80s, EL 2d80s, EL 70s, EL 66s (USB)
•BRAILLEX Trio (USB and bluetooth)
Papenmeier Braille BRAILLEX Older Models
The following Braille displays are supported:
•BRAILLEX EL 80, EL 2D-80, EL 40 P
•BRAILLEX Tiny, 2D Screen
NVDA supports the BrailleNote notetakers from Humanware when acting as a display terminal for a screen reader
BRLTTY

11: I use it for... uh... one game? On one computer?

12: No clue what this is.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : john via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : scotf2012 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector