Re: Wanting to start a rock band, but need some advice

First you need people, musically inclined people who are interested in the same style of music you are. Musically inclined people who can work together, take critisism, and work as a team for a goal everyone loves. You're kind of up the creek without that.

My band began in 2010 with three college friends; a drummer, a guitarist, and a bassist who were all computer science majors. They decided to start a band because it would be fun to play punk rock covers. The drummer met a theater major in class one day, and found out she could sing. He asked her, "How would you like to be in a rock band?" Somewhere along the way, a male singer joined the band and left. The friends practiced their punk rock in a church every week and had a lot of fun. A couple years later, the bassist left. The band got hired to play the score for Evil Dead at the university, and they found a bassist to join in. He stayed with the band for a year. after Evil Dead, the band played a couple op en mic sessions at a bar in the next town over. Due to creative differences, the bassist left and the band said, "Hey Cinnamon, how would you like to play the bass?" Cinnamon said, "What the hell is a bass?" With her knowledge of music theory, the lovely and charming Cinnamon borrowed a bass guitar from her church pastor and, in four weeks, learned six songs. They played a charity show for the church, and it was Cinnamon's first show.
Since then, the band has played at open mics around town, along with a show at a small pride festival. Currently, we have five full origional songs, each one centered around mythology, primarily Greek mythology; hince our name, Delphi LIVE. We are beginning to practice our songs with click tracks, because we hope to get into a friend's recording studio before December to lay down three professionally done demo tracks so we can pimp them around town to get gigs.

So, in essence, it's a lot of work to be in a band if you want to do more than just practice once a week for the fun of it. It's been four years, and the band is just now taking things seriously and trying to polish up. We have disagreements, we have to compromise with one another, and we have to listen to what each member wants to do. We're a team. We always group hug after every show and practice. You can't just come in like a wrecking ball and demand to be the leader of the pack; that's not how a band works. Being in a band can be as fun or as serious as you want it to be, but it starts with people who share a vision.

Now that I've written that unnecessary novella, you can check out some of our live gigs, (Sorry, they're recorded on a cell phone) at
www.facebook.com/delphilivemusic