Best method to build a minimal operating system using UEFI?

Hi all,
I'm just curious: How should I build an operating system that is just the bare, minimal kernel using UEFI? This OS will only support UEFI. (It will only support UEFI because BIOS is just obsolete by now, right?) So, does anyone know how to do this?
Note: I do not want to use assembly language. Just Pure C++. I'm using the EDK 1.6, which is the latest available version currently.