Re: Accessible HTPC set up, seeking advice

Mmm, I dunno. If it were your only computer and you didn't see an upgrade in your immediate future, might still be worth getting the top-spec iMac or MacBook Pro; hard to argue with the designs and durability. And yes BootCamp does mean you get an excellent machine, though you won't use it for heavy gaming if you need specific graphics hardware. But, yeah, it's tragic to see Apple ruthlessly pursuing a kind of dystopian consumerism intended to keep people on the gravy train because it really does encourage waste. Perhaps this is only apparent to us because we're geeks, or perhaps Apple just knows better and consumer lifespan of these things will be longer than we expect for typical uses, or to put it another way, it is we who are consumerist and too eager to upgrade at the drop of the hat and this is incompatible with Apple's design strategy, which I happen to think is misguided and wrong.