Re: help with game sounds

I don't know if this will help in your situation but I usually find it necessary to turn off exclusive mode on your sound device, this helps in any case with a few bits of software potentially including media players like Foobar 2000 so it's good practice to set regardless.

Open your sound settings either from control panel or opening a context menu on the system tray volume control and choosing playback devices, make certain you are on the playback devices tab.
Move to the list of sound devices, choose the one you're using, open a context menu on it and choose properties.
Move to the advanced tab, move to the exclusive mode check box and uncheck it.

Exclusive mode allows a piece of software to take total control of your sound card and prevents other software from using it, while most software doesn't do this a few media players can do this as do mainstream games. Also while you're in the list of devices you can make certain that the device in question is set as the default sound device for your system.