a pc problem

hi. I have a persisting problem with my pc. i reformatted my pc about 2 months ago so i don't have much on it but when i press alt enter on my c:\ drive it shows me that i have 40 gb used. i went in c:\ and checked all the folders there. i have about 6 folders there all are made by windows like users, windows, program files and soon. the problem is that if i combine all the used space that it shows for each folder it is around 10 gb only. so what happened to 30 gb? why are they used also?
i reinstalled windows because i had this problem before and i didn't had enough space on c:\ but when i checked individually each folder there was much space that didn't show there. has anyone any ideas about what's happening?