Re: Is this hard drive dead?

I'm not so much worried about data recovery, as I copied off most of my important stuff off it before attempting the reformat. The drive became really slow in some spots and the copying outright failed a number of times. But I'd say I got about 95 percent of the stuff I really wanted off, and what I didn't get, I can get back from other people who still have it.
I guess my main idea was that CRC errors can be caused by two things, one of them being errors to the file system caused by unexpected power failures or the like, which is mainly a software thing. So I was pursuing that for a while because that's happened before to one of my other hard drives and it had some problems later, but a disc check fixed it. That was almost 3 years ago and the drive hasn't had a single problem since, so whatever happened must have been superficial, though I am still afraid for the day that one fails as well. This drive I am currently working on doesn't seem to be so lucky. What really concerned me is that when I attempted to write new data to the disc, it would soon be corrupted with a CRC error, and everything I used to try to open it would crash. At the time I dismissed it, but now I'm thinking that it's only logical that no simple error with the file system would cause that. Disc check doesn't seem to fix a thing though I could see it trying, it would stall at certain points and then creep slowly until it finished. I guess I'm in denial that this is a hard drive destined to fail. But by this point I've been fighting with it for so long and making no progress that I doubt it's worth it to get it working again, because even if it does, it may still corrupt the files I write to it. Ah well, 1 tb down the drain I suppose. Time to get a new desk that isn't 12 years old... that's the only thing that caused this mess in the first place. Lol
Sorry for wasting your time with this topic, I was just tryi ng to see if there was any hope that I could get that tb of storage back as I would easily find uses for it, but I think rationale is finally kicking in. And hard drive prices seem to be a lot lower now than they were when I got this thing in 2010 or so.