How do I use Automator in OS X with VoiceOver?

Hi.

So, the reason I became interested in Automator is because I need to create some text to speech files using OS X Leopard.
The -o command doesn't appear to work in Leopard, so I looked around the internet and found that you can use automator to create a scrypt that will convert text to speech and then send it to an audio file.
I tried playing with AUtomator on both my Mac Mini running Leopard and my Macbook Air running Yosemite but the interface is very confusing.
How do I use this effectively?
I could see this being useful for other stuff besides text to speech, but this is how I became interested in it.
It's weird, I've been playing with macs for nearly two years now, and I havn't bothered with Automator? Anyway, I would like feedback from anyone that has used Automator with VoiceOver.