Inspiration or Objectification

Hello there,

I've just saw an interesting YouTube video about objectification and idealization of disabled people as "inspirational spam". Stella Young who is giving the talk and died about two weeks ago related to her disability. She suffered from osteogenesis imperfecta also known as brittle bone disease, had a deformed body due to the deformation of her bones and was therefore bound to a wheelchair.

You can find the listen to the video here: YouTube

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the following two topics related to the video:

1. Do you feel the same way as her that living with a disability is not an achievement in its own right and doesn't make you exceptional?
2. Does it happen to you, that seeing people tell you that you are an inspiration to them solely because you are sight impaired and not related to any concrete accomplishments? Do they even over look your real achievements and solely focus on the no seeing thing?

I have to say I am guilty of this behavior as outlined in the video but I don't feel particularly guilty about it. Every single person that ever lived had problems of some sort. Looking to other people who have been dealt a worse hand of cards and get by with it seemingly fine makes me reevaluate my own situation with the predictable conclusion of "it could be worse" and feeling better about my life. I see nothing wrong with that as long as you don't let these thoughts change the way you treat and interact with disabled people. Mankind is a social animal and comparisons between ourselves and other individuals is second nature to us. It drives and compels us. I would even argue that disabled people have their own inspirational spam when comparing themselves to the more severely impeded. Do you agree or disagree?