Re: Looking for a free fantasy adventure game that I can play on my PC

I cannot reccommend shadow rine, and the other japanese games, highly enough. I mention shadow rine because it most closely falls under what you seem to be looking for. Murokuma's text games are also great, although they're primarily turn based, but they have pretty excellent music and sound, my favorite being alternative magic, which has many secrets and two extra difficulty modes once you've completed  your first playthrough. As has been mentioned, it takes a bit of messing around to get things working, but once you do, the japanese games give a whole new level of quality that is unrivaled in the audiogames community in my opinion.

Also, if you want some serious platforming challenge, bokura no daibouken 3 has some seriously fiendish puzzles especially near the end, and I dare say at least a hundred unlockable weapons and items, as well as a fairly complex crafting system.