Headphones or Audiophiles, anyone?

Hi there,

First off, I apologize if this has been mentioned elsewhere. It probably has, but rather than sift pages for an old topic to revive, I figured I'd make my own.

So recently my Logitech G35 headset has started to go, and I thought I'd try a set of higher-end headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT880s. I've tried a few others as well, but rather than give a blow-by-blow of every one, I just want so say one thing.

Holy crap. What have I been missing?

And the worst part is, for the first while at least, I didn't think I was really missing anything. I was used to fairly big and loose bass, plus extra-sybillant treble, and when these audiophile headphones didn't deliver that, I thought they kinda sucked. Then I got used to it, and I...don't really think I can go back, not unless I have to. Putting on my G35s now is a downgrade. This probably makes me sound like a snob, but I hope it doesn't.

I'm starting this topic to see if any of you have experience with particular types of headphones beyond, say, apple earbuds or Beats by Dre. Not that those items don't have their niche, but they're not exactly cream of the crop either. If this takes off, perhaps we can use it as a means to discuss good audio gear.

Also, one great thing for some of you, particularly in the United States and Canada but in a few other places as well: Amazon has a policy where you can return within thirty days of purchase for a full refund. You sometimes get hit with a shipping charge, but it's usually not tooo steep. That said, if you have enough money to spend but aren't sure if you want to commit, you can always buy, decide you don't like (or decide you can't afford to have that lack of money in your wallet) and return it. Amazon seems perfectly okay with people doing this; it's not considered abuse of the policy since they acknowledge that the only way to find the right headphone is to listen to it. This runs counter to a lot of the big-box electronic stores which won't accept headphones returned if you've opened them.

Anyway, I digress. I have experience with the Philips Fidelio X2 (it's on my head as I write this), Sennheiser HD598, Sooundmagic HP200 and the aforementioned DT880. Anyone else got anything to chime in here?