Re: Let's Discuss Everything About Star Trek

@Danny the h2g2 radio series is an absolute classic, I'd imagine even the Bbc are still selling it let alone amazon or other sources. It started with phases one and two (even before the books), which ended somewhat on a cliffhanger, then in about 2005 I think they started with the Tertiary phase bringing back all the old actors and doing Life the universe and everthing, then the quarternary phased based on So long and thanks for all the fish, and finally the quintessence phase based on Mostly harmless.

Douglas Adams himself apparently died after iving his blessing to the project but before it was complete, however fortunately they did get recordings of Adams own readings of the character Agrajag for the audio book version of Life the universe an everything, so Adams himself plays a part in  later radio plays.

I even think the end to the quintessence radio play is a far better one than that in the book mostly harmless which adams himself was  written&n bsp; from a very grim place),  and is an awsome conclusion as well as a celibration of all things h2g2.

On the sound design matter, personally I like the sound design of each series and just treat it as part of the hole experience along with what I can see of the environments and costumes, and the voices and personalities of the characters, particularly true of the leap from the rather crude and clanging Tos sounds to the more sleak Next gen/ds9 ones. I also associate sounds with their situations, just as I do the visuals (or what I can see of them), the Borg hydraulic movement sound and computer growl is particularly creepy in next gen for example, and I love the way that whenever firengi appear in the first series of Tng you hear their huge booming voices with so much base and echoe, ---- sort of like they're trying to make themselves distinctly eviler and more impressive than they are which is quite amusing given how Firengi really aren't! that scary (well n ot unless you make business deals with them).

Sinse the pvp has always put me off space muds like Miriani I've never been in a position to get sick of the startrek sounds, and indeed I can only think of one indi game I played that used them and even that just used the enterprise door sound, and I just thought "hay that's the enterprise door sound" and not much else big_smile.