Open Broadcaster Software

***Disclaimer.***
If this article contravenes the rules of the forum, moderators please let me know
***End of disclaimer***

I've been using Open Broadcaster software for a while and I've seen many blind and visually impaired users have trouble or just be almost intimidated by the interface.  Therefore, I'll try and give what tips I can here linking to information that I find useful etc.  This won't probably turn into anything, might not even be expanded beyond this point, but we'll have to see.

This article is designed to help those wishing to stream games, whether they be audio games with graphics or mainstream content, with the assistance of a screen reader, highlighting pitfalls and interesting quirks that might be encountered.

Things you'll need
  • The software, found here:
    Download OBS

    (note: It's good if you have both 32 and 64 bit ve rsions of OBS on your PC, for reasons that I'll go into later)

  • A desktop or laptop running an os listed in the system requirements.  Windows 8.1 will be used in this example.

  • If you feel the need, a screen reader.  NVDA will be used in this example as it is the only one that has been tested extensively with twitch and OBS.
    ***Information***
    although other screen readers may work, results may vary.
    ***end of information***

  • If you wish to stream your games, you'll need an account with a service such as
    Twitch.tv, found here
    Streaming is not necessarily the main objective this tutorial, just an added step if people want to try it.

  • If you wish to capture gameplay from a console, you'll need a capture card/device.  The example used here will be the
    Elgato Gam e Capture HD.

  • If you wish to commentate during gameplay, some kind of microphone.  Whether that's a voice recorder, headset microphone, or USB audio device, it doesn't really matter.  Set up proceedures may vary for different devices, but a USB microphone will be used in this example.
    ***commentary may not even be covered, but it's a possibility***

A word about screen readers

OBS is one of those programs that requires a bit of getting used to.  One of the most important things is that you can't actually right click in the boxes (for adding sources and such), you have to use mouse keys (NVDA+left Mouse to root the mouse cursor to the box, then right mouse to get into the menu, e.g. the source menu).

Speaking of the source menu, That's probably the only context menu you'll need to use.  The program is, apart from the above minor inconvenience which is just that at best a nd irritating at worst, fine with NVDA.

Initial Setup

***to be expanded***