Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

Good news! I've got loading external sounds working. Normally, this is an easy thing to add, but I'm using the Unity game engine to make porting to Mac and iOS easier, so it's a little tricker than normal. So you can add your own custom sounds now.

The main reason I want to use SAPI is its ease of use and universal distribution. It's easy to time sounds with SAPI and most implementations across platforms will be similar. I remember adding jaws support to Entombed and it was a real nightmare. The .DLL had no documentation and supported very little other that saying text. You had no idea if the speech engine was speaking, or how to time your game sounds, and only made everything messier.

I'll consider adding other libraries only if they are well supported (jaws certainly wasn't) and don't cause me to rewrite the engine. If I can reliably interrupt text, and poll if the engine is currently still speaking, I might be able to add it.

I'll have a look at that library.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Stevie-3 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Stevie-3 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector