Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

@Sevrior I suggest on both counts you try kerkerkruip, sinse there is no surer way of getting killed there than hammering away with attacks, and playing defensively is intrinsically part of the game.

To take your example however, the point of the warrior parrying and defending the thief is that firstly the warrior can parry while the thief cannotd, thus making both characters less likely to be damaged, and secondly that if a more sophisticated armor and damage system is introduced it would be better for the thief not to get hit, sinse after all the two are fighting together. Also, if the attack system is worked out correctly, it might be (just as in real life), that your big armored warrior swinging around a hefty weapon is far less likely to actually connect with the enemy than the thief would. This is the hole point of having multiple characters, letting one character compensate for the other's weakness and is a major strength of the turn based system.

I also personally have had plenty of those "oh hell!" moments in a turn based game, even when the combat system itself was severely lacking. I had plenty playing Sryth or other gamebooks (read the chaos master fight in the lw book prisoners of time as a great example), and indeed had a major "oh god!" moment in the original entombed facing the lich.

So, I think we will probably have to beg to differ on this, though I for one am glad Dingo is sticking to the turn based, or at least modified initiative based system.