Re: Blind Swordsman: audio game for Samsung Gear VR

Interesting, though I confess when I saw the title I first thought of The blind swordsman game from Evildog which is written in flash and has awsome mechanics, find the db page Here.

While on the one hand it's good the game is being produced sinse any exposure of audiogames is a good thing, plus I don't believe there are any current audiogames for that device, at the same time I'm really! disappointed with what the release says:

Richard (AudioGames) wrote:

although the game design is pretty similar to audio games that have
been around for well over 10 years (basically react to a sound coming
from the left, center or right), it is nice to see that audio games are
embraced by the upcoming field of virtual reality.

Not only is the bog standard left/right/center target th ing really! behind the times, but I'm disappointed if this is being billed to a sighted public as some sort of new and revolutionary innovation in audio, or indeed representative of what audiogames are like.

One of the really impressive things about games like Pappasangre and Audio deffence on the Iphone is that they manage to be really great introductions to audio both in how easy they are to pick up and play, (and how engaging the sound design and acting are), but also in that they're not just the bog standard hear it, hit it style of button mashers and are far better at showing things like required spacial awareness and first person positioning of sound sources.

So, while I've got nothing against the project, I wonder if someone who can work the comments etc should possibly make the developers aware of what else is on offer, after all if people are thinking bog standard arcade style boppit type games are the latest thing in audio, how will they ever mo ve on to games like gma tank commander much less something like Swamp?

  • ... AudioGames
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : Dark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : Dark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : Dark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : swordsman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : Dark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — AG-News room : musical professor via Audiogames-reflector