Keyboard Controls for action/adventure games

You may remember that, since like no one here spent a ton of time playing the PC version of Mortal Kombat 4, the default controls in most of the games in the Jeqocon Console were kinda weird.
I still want to make games with a console-oriented control scheme, preferably with multiplayer as an option, and I'd like opinions on how these should be set up by default.
Naturally, you'd still have the option of changing the controls to something more to your liking, but the less tinkering people have to do, the better.

I'm thinking primarily of my basic setup: directions, 6 normal buttons, and a start/pause button. Whenever possible, I'd try to keep the gameplay in as few buttons as possible, and reserve 1-3 buttons for navigation/information commands.
If you know you're not going to have two people playing at the same keyboard (joysticks count as not at the same keyboard), I could imagine the defaults for 6-8-button emulators working (arrow k eys, A-S-D / Z-X-C, spacebar/enter).
Two at the same keyboard seems like it'd default to something kinda like Mortal Kombat X, using the arrow keys and the num pad for player 2, and ASWD GHJ TYU space for player 1.

But I could be way off the mark, which is why I'm asking you!
Thoughts?