Re: A New Way to Prevent Spam Bots from Posting

You already are restricted to only one link per post until I b10 elieve posts, and to be honest most spammers are too stupid to notice limits anyhow (I've deleted spambots that don't post a single link just pages of woffle).

I wouldn't personally fancy moderator verrification for new member posts, sinse to be honest we'd need lots more moderators, and I'd hate to be in a position where a developer advertising an important new game was delayed. Indeed,  for the same reason it'd be rather bad if posting of all links was disabled to new members, sinse we have lots of new developers or groups coming and wanting to point people in the direction of their new game or demo or trailer or kickstarter campaign or whatever, and just like moderator approval I'd not want to get in the way of that.

As I said previously, along with the various automated antispam stuff we run such as  honypot that is directed at bots specifical ly, there is no substitute for moderators on search and destroy.
Plus, myself and the other mods also derive some vindictive pleasure in making up snarky messages for spammers that will be displayed when they try to return to the forum.

here are a couple of more humourus examples copied from the ban list for amusement value:

message: If your not a spambot, please contact us. If you are a
spambot, do not contact us, please go to hell and burn for all
eternity! thank you!

message: forum banned badger yes no are you to be for bad is
not to confusing chopped ham and pork upon internet causes
much problems yes it does so piss off into cooker of hell devil
thing not compliant with sanity.

message: Begone you horrid spammer! spam yee know more!
your spam is not wanted here! so either learn the ways of
unspamminess or smeg off and spam in hell!

message: avaunt! thou foul and filthsome spambot! a get thee
gone! and ne'er darken this forum from hence forth with thy
putrid stench of demonic spam! I cast thee out!

message: Go spam elswhere, we're not interested in free
movies.

message: Take your kidneys elsewhere!

message: Go away and spam no more yee horrid spambot!
return to the nethermost depths of spamicious hell from which
thou spammed!

message: if your not a spambot please contact us. if you are a
spambot, please don't contact us, please go and jump in a lake!