Re: Immersion: is it possible in an audio game?

@KeyIsFull
I beleive the effect is referred to as the "Suspension of Disbelief", and generally the more coherent a game is in term's of presentation, the easier it is for a player to momentarily suspend their disbelief and be "drawn in". Some game are particularly good at it by creating plausible situations that blur the lines between fantasy and reality, at times with little more than just text.

@GeneWarner
You make an interesting point about the use of arbitrary sounds in Audiogames to represent things, and its something I think thats been an issue for a few developers and players a like. I can understand the interest and need for more sculped sounds, but it can be difficult for people who don't have the experience or tool's to create them, IE: synths, microphones, Foley Stage, sound insulation foam, software, etc.

It might be beneficial to do some research on good sound production techniques and affordable equipment to h elp improve the quality in some games, or even to build a respository or post links of open source sounds for developers to draw from.