Re: Mac questions

Well I tried out a mac this morning for an hour or so. I was not going to sit and go through the entire vo tutorial, but there were two things I specifically wanted to learn, could vo navigate the basic filing system on a mac including copying files, and would safari work.
We had a little prevarication, firstly because the shop had some software running that made vo stop interacting with folders, and I confess I got a bit concerned sinse not being able to open the downloads folder is bad, however once the guy at the shop logged me in as an admin it went okay.

I was able to access a memory stick and copy a file, which was useful.

Safari didn't work out as well, because when I loaded up google I could only tab between the google search button and the box. When I arrowed down the page vo stopped reading at the image google had to download google chrome and wouldn't go beyond it. I  used command option A to read the hole thing, but couldn' t go between links, and the chap (who was reading vo instructions but didn't use vo himself), couldn't find an answer. Eventually random poking determined that it's command option left and right arrow.

In general it seems to do what I want, which was what I wanted to know, however I don't like the fact that there are so many dam keyboard shortcuts for use with vo. Supernova (and I'm pretty sure most other windows screen readers), can be used basically with the arrows, the tab key and one key for document read, plus enter to activate stuff.
Vo seemed to constantly need different weerd combinations of keys to interact and move around different things rather than making one standard set, heck even enter didn't work for things like opening folders.
I  will of course get used to this, but after how simply vo is designed for the Iphone it does seem rather needlessly complex and I'm surprised the thing is so over designed.

I also do hope web page navigation is a little less clunky sinse having to read each page entirely then go through links and not even being able to use the arrow keys efficiently to read down the page, let alone skipping around to headings, text areas, buttons etc, could be rather time consuming. I assume there are better skip keys kicking around, but I was disappointed with the performance of the basic arrows with something as standard as google, or even the front page of this site.

Will it do what I want it to do? Yes, once I've learnt how to use it.
Do I think it's an ificient system? not currently, which  frankly did surprise me, sinse as I said, I found vo on the Iphone extremely easy to pick up and I would've assumed the mac version would be similar. any thoughts would be much appreciated.