Re: Is it possible to completely control the files on my computer?

UAC in most situations simply isn't tolerable for me. The most it's ever done for me is nag me asking me if I want to run a particular program when I launch it. I have never left UAC on long enough for it to be useful to me. Why would I sit there reading its notifications when 99 percent of the time those notifications are for things which I myself just initiated on my own accord? Are you sure you want to run file.exe gets really old, especially since when I run it, UAC has yet to complain about what the program did. It's like asking me, hey do you really want to submit this post to the forum? Unless you're too impulsive for your own good, there's no need in asking a stupid question like that, since if you press the button, you intend to do it. I'm not going to sit there and read every UAC instance only to find out that 1 percent of the things it's yelling at me about were not performed by me. I'd rather have adman rights and accidentally sc rew myself over than not be able to make routine system changes.
Besides, the choice whether to hit yes or no in those dialog boxes is really not always that clear cut. I've already had technicians crash a PC at least once because they told me to hit yes in response to certain dialogs or to simply ignore certain error messages when in fact they were indicative of real problems which required either intense registry combing or just a reformat to fix. Restricting what you can and cannot do is different than UAC stepping in and second-guessing every action performed on your system, most of which are trusted.
As for Steve's problem, I don't really know a sollution to this, since right now I'm having similar problems of my own. I'm on Win 7 home premium X64, and certain files seem to mysteriously claim I am not the rightful owner and deny me permission to do anything with them. I must confirm my administrative privileges every time I want to access them , or go into permissions and change ownership settings which is a pain since the files which are affected are scattered randomly through all folders of my HD. This all started after a power failure a week ago, which perhaps corrupted something. It's still really annoying.