Re: The people behind TTS voices

I've heard Dennis Klat's voice on a recording, though the recording in question wasn't that good, as it was ripped from cassette tape and then downsampled. It does sound a bit like Perfect Paul.
As for where Microsoft Sam and those voices came from, they had to be from real humans as they use diphone synthesis, which takes really tiny samples of human speech and then does a boatload of dsp on them to control intonation and timing.
A few days ago someone posted on Twitter about the Ivona Bryan voice and linked to a video of the guy who likely recorded for it, but I can't remember the name and didn't watch the video. Maybe I'll be able to find it again. Also that Graham sample from post 30 is almost perfect. I do love that voice for some reason and I can see how they made a tts voice from that, though in this recording the quality is a bit different, probably recorded from an old TV broadcast onto VHS or something similar. The TTS voice defini tely sounds better in terms of sound quality but is a lot more glitchy and roomy.
I wonder where Acapela Ryan came from, his voice I always had a fondness to. For some reason he always sounded serious but happy during certain passages. I swear I heard his voice on a commercial once but was too sleepy to record it or go look it up, and by the time I got home and was awake enough to remember it, I had completely forgotten any references so all I can recall is the "Whoa!" moment of recognizing that voice on the radio station we were listening to. The AT&T voices were always interesting to me because of their diversity and I always wondered who recorded for those, but I suspect that information is highly under raps since they were the first to do speech synthesis that way.