Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

A bug report, a few suggestions, and a bunch of questions:
bug:
While harvesting an oasis, the name of the plant changed (though the items I picked up did not). Not quite sure exactly what happened or what I did to cause it, sorry. May have something to do with inventory or eating a plant while at the oasis.
Suggestions:
It'd be really nice if we could get items condensed in the inventory, something like "death skeletal shroom (15)" (yes, that's the plant I'm harvesting in the other window) instead of 15 different listings for the same item. Its rather frustrating to page through numerous pages of info just to find one random item in the mess. What would be perfect is some kind of categorical listing - a selection to view weapons, food, plants, misc etc, followed by a listing of all the items you have of that type.
Is there any chance of getting a plant lore skill of some sort, that would give us some info about the plants we' re viewing? What I'm in visioning is a skill with several "levels", each of which would cost several points to pass. The first level (1-5 maybe?) would give you info like "this plant affects health", the next would say something like "this plant will probably heal", and the third would say "this plant heals for 12". Of course, you could probably add more tears into it if you wanted - steadily shrinking the random margin of error in the report, or any other way you can think of to make it work.
It might be a good idea to have trader damage/health (and maybe guard strength/health) scale along with the player's level a bit. I do like feeling way overpowered, but from a balance perspective we probably shouldn't just be slaughtering every single trader and stealing their money/items. The rip off ones absolutely, but not all of them.
questions/shaky suggestions:
is it still at all possible to find the really powerful we apons we used to be able to get from random encounters, or are those store only now (they're super expensive)?
Is there any use for ore or coal, beyond selling them at mines? I tend to get a lot from nomads or dungeons, and have nothing to do with it.
Are there any plans to let the player sell items? Scrap is a great one, but ammo/lock picks/etc would also be great. Not quite sure what selling food/other inventory items would entail in the code. If you really wanted, you could set up a system that lets the player put a price on each item in their inventory, and then roving traders (or maybe shops if you want this in the town rework) could offer to buy them.
Any chance we could get some kind of prize for actually killing off the gangs of raiders at toll gates? Its a bit anticlimactic as it stands.

Sorry for such a loaded post, this has been one of those moments where more and more things occur to me as I'm typing, which I've now been doing for quit e a while.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : threeblacknoises via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : threeblacknoises via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Ronal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Ronal via Audiogames-reflector