ideal way of creating a map parcer?

Hello again.
This is something that I've been wondering about for a while.
Here is what I have theorized.
Ideally, I need to create a class/constructor.
I should, ideally, load the map into a file, and then deserialize it into a dictionary.
Here is where I get a little confused, in terms of logistics, not in terms of code ok, actually both.
I get that bgt has a dictionary.exists function. In theory, I could use that, to find my values set in my map file.
So let's say I have the ability to set the room's starting x (roomx), ending x (roommaxx), sound (roomsound), and type (roomtype) (footstep sounds) for now.
I could use the dictionary.exists function to find those values roomx, roommaxx, roomsound, and roomtype, assuming those are the values I have defined in my roombuilding class.
What I don't know, is how I can get the engine to load the file nicely, in other words prevent the engine from creating a room, on top of a room.
Keep in mind this is all sudo code, so I actually haven't sat down to try putting it into bgt code.
If I did the engine would probably think I was trying to end the world lols.
Thanks for reading!