Re: distributing high quality audio

So here's the short answer.  Do what is necessary for the recording in question.
Here's the expansion on the short answer.  It depends entirely upon what you want the recording to convey.  If the sort of detail you want to highlight is something that compression kills, don't compress.  If not, then find the level at which said detail becomes muddy and stay above that floor.
As someone who keeps his music collection in .flac, I go for larger, better quality, but when recording and distributing simple interviews, I'd compress the hell out of them for band width/storage considerations.  It's the difference between the Diane Rehm show, where all you need is clear voice audio and something like Radio Lab, where audio production is actually a part of the experience.
Your .flac option and compressed file is likely the best alternative.