-But comparing the CD12's Digital out and SB2's Digital out, the
difference is so small I find it negligible.-

This is exactly as should be the case, providing: -

1. the SB2's digital out is bit perfect
2. the external DAC can effectively de-jitter the SPDIF stream and
render differences between the CD12 and SB2 negligible.

The comparison you've made is not between CD12 and SB2, but mainly how
sesitive your DAC is to jitter on the incoming data stream.

For me an audiophile SB would have to stand on it's own - I would want
to buy a box, plug it in and get great music, but that's quite an
engineering challenge, especially if one wants to keep the flexibilty
of the device!

I think you've answered my question though that it's more to do with
perceived quality* of the product, than sound quality, for many.

Andy

*This isn't meant in any way to be derogatory, the SB2 is a very well
built and engineered device considering it's incredible value for
money, but obviously doesn't feel like a big heavy several thousand
pound / dollar CD player.

--
Andrew L. Weekes