pfarrell Wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean here. 24 bit has no more headroom.
> The normal way to look at digital signals is that zero dbfs
> is the max. (dB full scale). Signals max out at 0 dBfs, and
> get smaller.

It's only natural you don't know what I mean when I don't really know
what I'm talking about. ;-)
pfarrell Wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by re-aliased. Standard practice would
> be to re-dither. Someone from SlimDev would have to comment
> on what their algorithm does.

Re-aliasing.... you know...uh... OK. See above. Basically, I was asking
if <bad things> occured when the digital volume wasn't  all the way to
40. uhhh... I think I should stick to using non-sense words when
describing things I do not fully grok. It's only fair to make the
extent of my ignorance obviously explicit.
pfarrell Wrote:

> I bought my Classe years before I got my first
> SqueezeBox. If I was starting over, I would consider skipping the
> preamp completely and running the SqueezeBox directly into a pair
> of monoblocks. If you later decided that you needed a preamp,
> you can always add one.

Aha! Yes! This is what I was really after. If you had to do it from
scratch.... would you (in a single source situation) bypass the pre-amp
and go directly to amplification, using the digital volume control of
the SB2 for attenuation.

You =would= skip the pre-amp. Good answer... that saves me money!
Thanks pfarrell!

y.

--
Yannzola