bjackson Wrote:
> Well I'd disagree with you that all it does is stream music.

You are correct and my statement was not meant to disparage the SB2 or
its development community in any way.  Quite the opposite, in fact.
There have been many thousands of man-hours of compensated and
volunteer effort in the SliMP3/Squeezebox creation and in the continued
development and support of most excellent features and applications.
That's why I said the product stands alone.  Anyone who does proper
research will realize this.

However, at a much higher price point I think the product would need to
go beyond obvious aesthetic improvements and esoteric enhancements
intended for the audiophile population. Some possibilities:

-- coordinated, non-line-of-sight remote control, e.g. RF; maybe Zigbee
for control of many devices throughout a living area.
-- more sophisticated remotes & controllers with LCD displays.
-- slave controllers which could be in- or on-wall mounted in other
rooms, with options for driving powered speakers or amps (maybe even
Slim's own branded class-D amp)
-- intelligent control of and integration with other devices, including
video and voice (IP, including on-site, i.e. intercom).
-- ...and the aesthetic and audiophile enhancements.

Eh, just my opinion.  I could be wrong; from reading various forums,
I've been amazed at how much money some people are willing to pay for
high-end audio equipment.  But I wonder what percentage of sales that
segment would comprise.

It's fun to dream, though, and who knows?  You might get your wishes!
:)

--
Dave D