Hi,

My proposed new home for my SB2 arrived yesterday.

Some pictures here:

http://gallery.robinbowes.com/v/Electronics/DACMagic/

It's a dead Cambridge Audio DACMagic 1!

I've not powered it up yet but it apparently blows fuses when switched on.

I've not finalised my plans yet, but I'll probably do some or all of the following:

 - replace front panel and mount SB2 VFD in centre
 - power the SB2 from one or more of the existing power supplies
 - replace the SB2 digital supply with a Super Regulator
 - Bypass the SB2 output stage (drive direct from DAC)
 - Use the DACMagic output stage, including balanced outputs
 - upgrade the DACmagic analogue stage (caps, opamps, etc.)
 - Power which ever analogue stage I use with a SuperReg
 - connect up the digital inputs to the SB2 DAC for use with other sources.
 - connect the pretty lights to the SB2 DAC some how :)

I'm waiting for a Service Manual for the DACMagic so I can work out how to hack the circuit but I've drawn a blank so far. If anyone's got one I'd appreciate a copy.

What do you think? Maybe slimdevices should consider making something in a box like this?

Cheers,

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com