vidurapparao Wrote:
> Latest svn and the next nightly build (along with Squeezebox2 firmware
> 22) implements volume normalization/Replay Gain for various audio and
> tag formats - ogg, FLAC, MP3Gain (APETAGEX), AACGain, RVAD (MP3 via
> iTunes) and RVA2.
>
> There is now a Replay Gain setting under the Player Settings > Audio
> section of the web interface. This setting can take the following
> values:
> 1) Disable Replay Gain
> 2) Use Track Gain (if present) - uses only track gain information.
> 3) Use Album Gain (if present) - uses only album gain information.
> 4) "Smart" gain selection - uses ideas and code from James Sutula's
> Dynamic Transition Updater/Smart Gain plugin to dynamically choose
> between track and album gain. The idea is that album gain is used if
> successive tracks are from the same album and in track order, track
> gain
> is used otherwise.
>
> The last is the default value of the setting. Please give this a try,
> post feedback and file bugs if you see any. I'm open to alternate ideas
>
> for the setting choices and default.
>
> Thanks to Dan Sully for tag parsing/database work and James Sutula for
>
> his plugin.
>
> --Vidur
Fantastic.  I'm not sure if Replay Gain has an enormous amount of
appeal for the typical dyed-in-the-wool audiophile, although it's a
godsend for casual listening.

I love the Smart Gain idea, but I'm not so sure I agree with requiring
track order.  If you queue up an album, then you delete a track (you
know, that one track that always ruins the album-listening experience
:-) will Smart Gain revert to Track Gain?  I don't think it should.
I'd prefer logic along the lines of "if three or more tracks in a row
are from the same album, then use Album Gain, otherwise use Track
Gain".

--
JJZolx

Jim