kelsey Wrote:
> Will this feature be implemented for Squeezebox?

possibly. It would need to be implemented differently though, by having
the server send volume commands to the client at the right times.
patches welcome.

> Is there any technical reason that this cannot be implemented for
> Squeezebox?

Yes. Squeezebox1 used a third-party DSP chip for decoding audio, and we
do not have access to that chip's internal software as we'd need in
order to add codecs and features such as this. Squeezebox2 is a new
architecture with vastly more CPU power and memory, and all the audio
DSP is our own implementation, so we can do these things now.

> Is it the case that with the introduction of S2, Squeezebox is
> considered a non-supported product

Absolutely not. We support our products and continue to add new
capabilities for them in SlimServer, all the way back to serial
#0000001.

>  and won't receive and feature type upgrades?

We are not adding new firmware features in Squeezebox1 at this point
due to limits of the architecture and our engineering resources. We
would still go back and do a firmware rev if some critical bug were
found - i.e. we shipped at least one firmware update for our first
product, SLIMP3, many months after it was no longer in production.

--
seanadams