On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 20:10 -0700, dean blackketter wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Pat Farrell wrote:
> > And some day, you might get a better system and will
> > be able to tell.
> Of course, your ears aren't going to get any better over time. Enjoy
> your hearing while you have it!

I've seen several credible reports that iPods and the like
combined with high efficiency headphones is causing (enabling?)
folks to seriously damage their hearing.

And it is usually permanent. Take care of your hearing. Turn it down.

It is interesting that most (or at least a huge number of) audiophiles
are middle aged men, most of whom have listened to too much loud
rock and have hurt their hearing.

You can learn to listen, and can learn to pick up subtle things
that make the difference between codecs, or amps, or even speakers.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html