I have to disagree on the VBR vs CBR.  I find VBR easier to spot than
CBR rips.  And yes FLAC outperforms CBR.  I guess at some higher
bitrate it might be increasingly difficult to tell, but 320 is not high
enough.

As Pat says, test for yourself.  I've been listening to music for 25
years and an audiophile for 15 of those and my system could be
described as golden, so perhaps I'm just more attuned to how it should
sound and can immediately spot when it's not "right".

It would be interesting to do the tests away from my main hi-fi though
to see if I could still spot the differences on unfamiliar systems.  I
can certainly hear the problem on my iPod with 320CBR.

Mark

--
Mark_H